Selected list of Publications and Patents:
* Structural and biochemical characterization of GTP cyclohydrolase II from Helicobacter pylori reveals its redox dependent catalytic activity. Savita Yadav and Subramanian Karthikeyan*. Journal of Structural Biology. (2015), 192, 100-115
* Structural Basis for Competitive Inhibition of 3,4-Dihydroxy-2-butanone-4-phosphate Synthase from Vibrio cholera. Zeyaul Islam, Adarsh Kumar, Suruchi Singh, Laurent Salmon and Subramanian Karthikeyan*. Journal of Biological Chemistry. (2015), 290, 11293-11308. doi:10.1074/jbc.M114.611830.
* Evidence that phosphorylation of threonine in GT motif triggers activation of PknA, a eukaryotic-type Serine/Threonine kinase from Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Sandeep K Ravala, Suruchi Singh, Ghanshyam S Yadav, Sanjay Kumar, Subramanian Karthikeyan*, Pradip K. Chakraborti*. FEBS J. (2015), 282(8), 1419-1431. doi:10.1111/febs.13230.
* Identification of crucial amino acids of bacterial peptide deformylases affecting enzymatic activity in response to oxidative stress. Kumar S, Kanudia P, Karthikeyan S, Chakraborti PK. J Bacteriol. (2014) 196, 90-99.
* The crystal structure reveals the molecular mechanism of bifunctional 3,4-dihydroxy-2-butanone 4-phosphate synthase/GTP cyclohydrolase II (Rv1415) from Mycobacterium tuberculosis Mirage Singh, Pankaj Kumar, Savita Yadav, Ruchi Gautam, Nidhi Sharma and Subramanian Karthikeyan*. Acta Cryst (2013) D69, 1633-1644.
* Insufficient (Sub-native) Helix Content in Soluble/ Solid Aggregates of Recombinant and Engineered Forms of IL-2 Throws Light on How Aggregated IL-2 is Biologically Active. Uzma Fatima, Balvinder Singh, Karthikeyan Subramanian, Purnananda Guptasarma. Protein J. (2012), 31:529–543.
* Structures of ternary complexes of aspartate semialdehyde dehydrogenase (Rv3708c) from Mycobacterium tuberculosis H37Rv. Rajan Vyas, Rupinder Tewari, Manfred S. Weiss and Subramanian Karthikeyan*. Acta. Cryst. (2012). D68, 671-679
* Amino acids involved in polyphosphate synthesis and its mobilization are distinct in polyphosphate kinase-1 from Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Payal Mittal, Subramanian Karthikeyan, Pradip K. Chakraborti*. PLoS one (2011). 6(11), e27398.
* Structural basis for pH dependent monomer-dimer transition of 3, 4-dihydroxy 2-butanone-4-phosphate synthase domain from M. tuberculosis. Mirage Singh, Pankaj Kumar and Subramanian Karthikeyan*. Journal of Structural Biology. (2011), 174, 374–384.
* Crystal structure analysis of icosahedral lumazine synthase from Salmonella typhimurium, an antibacterial drug target. Pankaj Kumar, Mirage Singh and Subramanian Karthikeyan*. Acta Cryst. (2011), D67, 131-139.
* Potential anti-bacterial drug target: Structural characterization of 3, 4-dihydroxy-2-butanone-4-phosphate synthase from Salmonella typhimurium LT2. Pankaj Kumar, Mirage Singh, Ruchi Gautam, and Subramanian Karthikeyan*. Proteins. (2010), 78, 3292-303.
* A Single-Amino-Acid Substitution in the C Terminus of PhoP Determines DNA-Binding Specificity of the Virulence-Associated Response Regulator from Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Arijit Kumar Das, Anuj Pathak, Akesh Sinha, Manish Datt, Balvinder Singh, Subramanian Karthikeyan and Dibyendu Sarkar*. J. Mol. Biol. (2010), 398, 647–656.
* A functional comparison of the TET aminopeptidases of P. furiosus and B. subtilis with a protein-engineered variant recombining the former’s structure with the latter’s active site. Divya Kapoor, Balvinder Singh, Subramanian Karthikeyan, Purnananda Guptasarma?, Enzyme and Microbial Technology. (2010), 46, 1–8.
* Expression, purification, crystallization and preliminary X-ray analysis of maleylacetate reductase from Burkholderia sp. strain SJ98. Archana Chauhan, Zeyaul Islam, Rakesh Kumar Jain* and Subramanian Karthikeyan* Acta Cryst. (2009), F65, 1313–1316.
* Creation of a new eye lens crystallin (Gambeta) through structure-guided mutagenic grafting of the surface of b2 crystallin onto the hydrophobic core of gB crystalline. Divya Kapoor, Balvinder Singh, Karthikeyan Subramanian and Purnananda Guptasarma*. FEBS Journal. (2009), 276, 3341–3353.
* Three Consecutive Arginines Are Important for the Mycobacterial Peptide Deformylase Enzyme Activity*. Rahul Saxena, Pavitra Kanudia, Manish Datt, Haider Hussain Dar, Subramanian Karthikeyan, Balvinder Singh, and Pradip K. Chakraborti*. Journal of Biological Chemistry. (2008), 283, 23754–23764.
* Replacement of the active surface of a thermophile protein by that of a homologous mesophile protein through structure-guided ‘protein surface grafting’. Divya Kapoor, Vijay Kumar, Sanjeev K. Chandrayan, Shubbir Ahmed, Swati Sharma, Manish Datt, Balvinder Singh, Subramanian Karthikeyan*, Purnananda Guptasarma*. Biochimica Biophysica Acta. (2008), 1784, 1771-1776.
* Purification, crystallization and preliminary X-ray diffraction analysis of aspartate semialdehyde dehydrogenase (Rv3708c) from Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Rajan Vyas, Vijay Kumar, Santosh Panjikar, Subramanian Karthikeyan, K. V.Radha Kishan, Rupinder Tewari and Manfred S. Weiss*. Acta Cryst. (2008), F64, 167–170.
* Creation of an active, stable chimeric protein through transplantation of the entire active surface of a protein onto its structural homolog. Divya Kapoor, Vijay Kumar, Sanjeev K. Chandrayan, Shubbir Ahmed, Swati Sharma, Manish Datt, Balvinder Singh, Subramanian Karthikeyan, Purnananda Guptasarma. (2008)