Cellular Immunology/Host-Pathogen Interactions/Membrane Trafficking.
The primary research interest of our laboratory is to understand the function of Arf-like (Arl) small GTP binding proteins that regulate intracellular membrane transport and cellular signaling. There are over 20 Arl GTPases in humans and, the few Arls characterized till date are implicated in regulating diverse cellular processes. Recently, we have characterized function of lysosomal localized Arl GTPase, Arl8, which regulates microtubule-dependent transport of lysosomes and lysosome-related organelles (LROs). Currently we are exploring the role of Arl proteins, in host-pathogen interaction using S. typhimurium and M. tuberculosis as a model pathogens.
- Marwaha, R., Arya, S. B., Jagga, D., Kaur, H., Tuli, A*., and Sharma, M*. (2017) The Rab7 effector PLEKHM1 binds Arl8b to promote cargo traffic to lysosomes. J Cell Biol 216, 1051-1070 (*corresponding authors).
- Michelet, X., Garg, S., Wolf, B. J., Tuli, A., Ricciardi-Castagnoli, P., and Brenner, M. B. (2015) MHC class II presentation is controlled by the lysosomal small GTPase, Arl8b. J Immunol 194, 2079-2088.
- Tuli, A*., Thiery, J., James, A. M., Michelet, X., Sharma, M., Garg, S., Sanborn, K. B., Orange, J. S., Lieberman, J., and Brenner, M. B. (2013) Arf-like GTPase Arl8b regulates lytic granule polarization and natural killer cell-mediated cytotoxicity. Mol Biol Cell 24, 3721-3735 (*corresponding author).
- Brennan, P. J., Tatituri, R. V., Brigl, M., Kim, E. Y., Tuli, A., Sanderson, J. P., Gadola, S. D., Hsu, F. F., Besra, G. S., and Brenner, M. B. (2011) Invariant natural killer T cells recognize lipid self antigen induced by microbial danger signals. Nat Immunol 12, 1202-1211.
- Garg, S., Sharma, M., Ung, C., Tuli, A., Barral, D. C., Hava, D. L., Veerapen, N., Besra, G. S., Hacohen, N., and Brenner, M. B. (2011) Lysosomal trafficking, antigen presentation, and microbial killing are controlled by the Arf-like GTPase Arl8b. Immunity 35, 182-193.