Write-up of research and development interests/focus, past and present goals:
The main areas of interest include fermentative production of various commercially important biomolecules.
Ongoing Research Activity
Presently engaged in developing processes for production of carbohydrate biopolymers. The main stress is on the production of pullulan and cellulose from microbial sources. For these the organisms from different sources have been screened and selected organisms are used for fermentative production for those compounds. Initially, the process is being standardized in shake flask level and then that is called up and re-standardized in fermenter scale.
Previously, a process for production of alpha amylase using recombinant organism was developed. Initially the process was optimized in the shake flask level and then that was transferred to fermenter scale. This process has been scaled up to 150L fermenter scale and it has been licensed to a company for commercial production of the enzyme. The shelf life of the enzyme has also been increased by many folds.
Selected list of Publications and Patents:
1) Mehta A, Sidhu C, Pinnaka AK and Roy Choudhury A*, Extracellular polysaccharide production by a novel osmotolerant marine strain of Alteromonas macleodii and its application towards biomineralization of silver. PLoS ONE (2014), (In Press).
2) Roy Choudhury A*, Malhotra A, Bhattacharjee P and Prasad GS. Facile and rapid thermo-regulated biomineralization of gold by pullulan and study of its thermodynamic parameters. Carbohydrate Polymers (2014), 106, 154-159.
3) Mehta A, Prasad GS and Roy Choudhury A*. Cost effective production of pullulan from agri-industrial residues using response surface methodology. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules (2014), 64, 252-256.
4) Roy Choudhury A*, Bhattacharjee P and Prasad GS. Development of suitable solvent system for downstream processing of biopolymer pullulan using response surface methodology. PLoS ONE (2013) 8(10): e77071. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0077071.
5) Malhotra A, Dolma K, Kaur N, Rathore YS, Ashish, Mayilraj S and Roy Choudhury A*, Biosynthesis of gold and silver nanoparticles using a novel marine strain of Stenotrophomonas. Bioresource Technology (2013), 142, 727-731.
6) Sharma N, Prasad GS and Roy Choudhury A*. Utilization of corn steep liquor for biosynthesis of pullulan, an important exopolysaccharide. Carbohydrate polymers (2013), 93, 1, 95-101.
7) Sharma N, Pinnaka AK, Raje M, Ashish, Bhattacharyya MS and Roy Choudhury A*, Exploitation of marine bacterium for the production of gold nanoparticles Microbial Cell Factories (2012), 11:86.
8) Roy Choudhury, A*, Sharma N and Prasad GS*. Deoiled Jatropha Seed Cake is a useful nutrient for pullulan production. Microbial Cell Factories (2012), 11:86.
9) Roy Choudhury, A*, Bhattacharyya MS and Prasad GS, Application of response surface methodology to understand the interaction of media components during pullulan production by Aureobasidium pullulans RBF-4A3. Biocatalysis and Agricultural Biotechnology (2012), 1, 3, 227-32.
10) Roy Choudhury A, Saluja P and Prasad GS*. Pullulan production by an osmotolerant Aureobasidium pullulans RBF-4A3 isolated from flowers of Caesulia axillaris. Carbohydrate polymers (2011), 83, 4, 1547-52.