Selected list of Publications and Patents:
Publications representative of above research topics:
1.Moonlighting glycolytic protein glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate dehydrogenase (GAPDH): An evolutionarily conserved plasminogen receptor on mammalian cells. Anoop Singh Chauhan, Manoj Kumar, Surbhi Chaudhary, Anil Patidar, Asmita Dhiman, Navdeep Sheokand, Himanshu Malhotra, Chaaya I. Raje and Manoj Raje.
The FASEB Journal, Manuscript in Press: DOI10.1096/fj.201600982R Online Publication Date Issue 2017-06-01 Volume 31 Issue No.6.
2. Reverse overshot water-wheel retroendocytosis of Apo Transferrin extrudes cellular iron.
Navdeep Sheokand, Himanshu Malhotra, Anoop Singh Chauhan, Manoj Kumar, Surbhi Chaudhary, Anil Patidar, Vishant Mahendra Boradia, Chaaya Iyengar Raje, and Manoj Raje
Journal of Cell Science; 129, 843-853 doi: 10.1242/jcs.180356, (2016).
3.Exosomes: tunable nano vehicles for macromolecular delivery of transferrin and lactoferrin to specific int racellular compartment.
Himanshu Malhotra, Navdeep Sheokand, Santosh Kumar, Anoop S. Chauhan, Manoj Kumar, Priyanka Jakhar, Vishant M. Boradia, Chaaya I. Raje and Manoj Raje
Journal of Biomedical Nanotechnology; 2016, 12, 1101-1114.
4. Purification and Characterization of Glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate-dehydrogenase (GAPDH) from Pea Seeds.
Zahid Gani, Vishant M Boradia, Raghu R Janaki, Prashant M Suryavanshi, Pravinkumar H Patil, Santosh Kumar, Ranvir Singh, Manoj Raje and Chaaya Iyengar Raje.
Protein Expression and Purification, 2016, Jul 4;127: 22-27.doi:10.1016/j.pep.2016.06.014
5. Mycobacterium tuberculosis H37Ra: a surrogate for the expression of conserved,
multimeric proteins of M.tb H37Rv.
Vishant Mahendra Boradia, Pravinkumar Patil, Anushri Agnihotri, Ajay Kumar, Kalpesh Kumar Rajwadi, Ankit Sahu, Naveen Bhagath, Navdeep Sheokand, Manoj Kumar, Himanshu Malhotra, Rachita Patkar, Navi Hasan, Manoj Raje and Chaaya Iyengar Raje
Microbial Cell Factories; 2016, 15:140 DOI 10.1186/s12934-016-0537-0
6. Secreted multifunctional Glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate dehydrogenase sequesters lactoferrin and iron into cells via a non-canonical pathway.
Anoop S. Chauhan, Pooja Rawat, Himanshu Malhotra, Navdeep Sheokand, Manoj Kumar, Anil Patidar, Surbhi Chaudhary, Priyanka Jakhar, Chaaya I. Raje and Manoj Raje
Scientific Reports 5, 18465; doi:10.1038/srep18465 (2015).
7. Functional characterization of monomeric GTPase Rab1 in the secretory pathway of Leishmania
Surbhi Bahl, Smriti Parashar, Himanshu Malhotra, Manoj Raje, and Amitabha Mukhopadhyay
The Journal of Biological Chemistry; 2015, 290(5): 29993–30005.
8. Moonlighting cell surface GAPDH recruits Apo Transferrin to effect iron egress from mammalian cells
Navdeep Sheokand, Himanshu Malhotra, Santosh Kumar , Vikas Ajit Tillu, Anoop Singh Chauhan, Chaaya Iyengar Raje and Manoj Raje
Journal of Cell Science; 2014,127, 4279–4291 doi:10.1242/jcs.154005
9. Mycobacterium tuberculosis acquires iron by cell surface sequestration and internalization of human holo-transferrin
Vishant Mahendra Boradia, Himanshu Malhotra, Janak Shrikant Thakkar,
Vikas Ajit Tillu, Bhavana Vuppala, Pravinkumar Patil, Navdeep Sheokand, Prerna Sharma, Anoop Singh Chauhan, Manoj Raje and Chaaya Iyengar Raje
Nature Communications; 2014, 5:4730 doi: 10.1038/ncomms5730.
10. Protein moonlighting in iron metabolism: glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate dehydrogenase (GAPDH)
Vishant Mahendra Boradia, Manoj Raje, Chaaya Iyengar Raje
Biochemical Society Transactions; 2014, 42(6): 1796-1801.
11. Calcium binding to Beta-2-microglobulin at physiological ph drives the occurrence of conformational changes which cause the protein to precipitate into amorphous forms that subsequently transform into amyloid aggregates.
Kumar S, Sharma P, Arora K, Raje M, Guptasarma P.
PLoS One. 2014 Apr 22;9(4):e95725. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0095725. eCollection 2014.
12. Secreted glyceraldehye-3-phosphate dehydrogenase is a multifunctional autocrine transferrin receptor for cellular iron acquisition
Navdeep Sheokand, Santosh Kumar, Himanshu Malhotra, Vikas Tillu,
Chaaya Iyengar Raje, and Manoj Raje
Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA)-General Subjects; 2013, 1830: 3816–3827.
13. Clathrin-mediated hemoglobin endocytosis is essential for survival of Leishmania
Shruti Agarwal, Ruchir Rastogi, Deepika Gupta, Nitin Patel, Manoj Raje and Amitabha Mukhopadhyay
Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA)-Molecular Cell Research; 2013, 1833:
14. The multifunctional glycolytic protein glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate dehydrogenase (GAPDH) is a novel macrophage lactoferrin receptor.
Pooja Rawat, Santosh Kumar, Navdeep Sheokand, Chaaya Iyengar Raje and Manoj Raje.
Biochemistry and Cell Biology; 2012, 90(3): 329–338.
15. Characterization of Glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate dehydrogenase as a novel transferrin receptor.
Santosh Kumar, Navdeep Sheokand, Mayur Anant Mhadeshwar, Chaaya Iyengar Raje and Manoj Raje.
The International Journal of Biochemistry & Cell Biology; 2012, 44:189– 199
16. IL-6 inhibits IFN-γ induced autophagy in Mycobacterium tuberculosis H37Rv infected macrophages.
Rajesh Kumar Dutta, Mahesh Kathania, Manoj Raje, Sekhar Majumdar
The International Journal of Biochemistry & Cell Biology; 2012, 44: 942–954.
17. Exploitation of marine bacteria for production of gold nanoparticles
Nishat Sharma, Anil K Pinnaka, Manoj Raje, Ashish FNU, Mani S Bhattacharyya and Anirban R Choudhury
Microbial Cell Factories; 2012, 11:86 doi:10.1186/1475-2859-11-86
18. Bfl-1/A1 acts as a negative regulator of autophagy in mycobacteria infected macrophages.
Kathania M, Raje CI, Raje M, Dutta RK, Majumdar S.
The International Journal of Biochemistry & Cell Biology; 2011, 43(4):573-85.
19. Responses of Mycobacterium tuberculosis hemoglobin promoters to in vitro and in vivo growth conditions.
Pawaria S, Lama A, Raje M, Dikshit KL.
Applied and Environmental Microbiology; 2008, 3512-3522.
20. Inhibition of bfl-1/A1 by siRNA inhibits mycobacterial growth in THP-1 cells by enhancing phagosomal acidification.
Dhiman R, Kathania M, Raje M, Majumdar S.
Biochim Biophys Acta.; 2008,1780:733-742.
21. Coalescence of spherical beads of retro-HSP12.6 into linear and ring-shaped amyloid nanofibers.
Anshuman Shukla, Manoj Raje and Purnananda Guptasarma.
Biochemistry (Moscow); 2008, 7396):681-685.
22. The macrophage cell surface Glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate dehydrogenase is a novel Transferrin receptor.
Chaaya Iyengar Raje, Santosh Kumar, Arti Harle, Jagpreet Singh Nanda and Manoj Raje
The Journal of Biological Chemistry; 2007, 282(5): 3252–3261.
23. Nitric oxide induces apoptosis in cutaneous T cell lymphoma (HuT-78) by downregulating constitutive NF-kappaB.
Loovena Rishi, Rohan Dhiman, Manoj Raje M and Sekhar Majumdar
Biochim Biophys Acta.; 2007,1770(8):1230-9.
24. Differential expression of NF-kappaB in mycobacteria infected THP-1 affects apoptosis.
Rohan Dhiman, Manoj Raje and Sekhar Majumdar
Biochim Biophys Acta.; 2007, 1770(4):649-58.
25. Immunochromatographic Dipstick Assay Format Using Gold Nanoparticles Labeled Protein-Hapten Conjugate for the Detection of Atrazine.
Jasdeep Kaur, K .Vikas Singh, Robin Boro, K.R.Thampi, Manoj Raje, Grish C. Varshney and C. Raman Suri
Environ. Sci. Technol.; 2007, 41: 5028-5036
26. Charged nylon membrane substrate for convenient and versatile high resolution microscopic analysis of E.coli & mammalian cells in suspension culture
Manoj Raje, Rohan Dhiman, Sekhar Majumdar, Taposh Dass, Kanak L. Dikshit and Ramandeep Kaur
Cytotechnology; 2006, 51:111-117
27. Atomic Force Spectroscopy based study of antibody pesticide interactions for characterization of immunosensor surface.
Kaur J, Singh KV, Schmid AH, Varshney GC, Suri CR and Manoj Raje
Biosensors and Bioelectronics; 2004, 20(2):284-93.
28. Strategies for direct attachment of hapten to polystyrene support for applications in enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA).
J. Kaur, K V Singh, Manoj Raje, G. C. Varshney and C R.Suri.
Anal. Chim. Acta.; 2004, 506, 133-135.
29. Synthesis and characterization of Hapten-Protein conjugates for antibody production against small molecules.
K.V. Singh J Kaur, G.C Varshney, Manoj Raje and C.R. Suri
Bioconjungate Chem.; 2004, 15, 168-173.
30. A Solid Phase method for evaluation of gold conjugate used in quantitative detection of antigen by immunogold labeling electron microscopy
Ramandeep Kaur and Manoj Raje
Journal of Immunological Methods; 2003, 279(1-2):33-40.
31. A backbone-reversed form of an all-beta alpha-crystallin domain from a small heat-shock protein (retro-sHSP12.6) folds and assembles into structured multimers
Anshuman Shukla, Manoj Raje, and Purnananda Guptasarma
The Journal of Biological Chemistry; 2003, 278(29): 26505-26510.
32. An ELISA based approach to optimize elution conditions for screening antibodies against hapten
K V Singh, Jasdeep Kaur, Manoj Raje, Grish C Varshney & C Raman Suri
Anal Bioanal Chem.; 2003, 377: 220-224.
33. A backbone-reversed all-beta polypeptide (retro-CspA) folds and assembles into amyloid nanofibres.
Shukla A, Raje Manoj and Guptasarma P.
Protein Eng.; 2003, 16(12): 875-9.
34. Pre- screening for antigen detectability in cells: A TEM based solid phase digital immunogold detection method utilizing ultra low volumes of reagents
Ramandeep Kaur, Kanak L, Dikshit and Manoj Raje
The Journal of Microscopy; 2002, 208 (2), 100-107.
35. Optimization of Immunogold Labeling TEM: An ELISA-based method for evaluation of Blocking Agents for Quantitative Detection of Antigen
Ramandeep Kaur, Kanak L. Dikshit and Manoj Raje
The Journal of Histochemistry & Cytochemistry; 2002, 50: 863-874.
36. Immunosensor for pesticide analysis: Antibody production and sensor development
C. Raman Suri, Manoj Raje & Grish C. Varshney
Critical Reviews In Biotechnology; 2002, 22(1): 15-32.
37. Sandwich microgravimetric immunoassay: Sensitive and specific detection of low molecular weight analytes using piezoelectric quartz crystal.
Satish Saha, Manoj Raje and C.Raman Suri.
Biotechnology Letters; 2002, 24: 711-716.
38. Evidence that an eukaryotic-type serine/threonine protein kinase from Mycobacterium tuberculosis regulates morphological changes associated with cell division.
Chaba, R., Manoj Raje & Chakraborti, P. K.
European Journal of Biochemistry; 2002, 269: 1078-1085.
39. Evidence that glycoprotein 96 (b2), a stress protein, functions as a th2-specific costimulatory molecule.
Banerjee PP, Vinay DS, Mathew A, Raje M, Parekh V, Prasad DV, Kumar A, Mitra D, Mishra GC.
J Immunol; 2002,169(7):3507-18.
40. Recombinant dengue virus type 2 envelope/hepatitis B surface antigen hybrid protein expressed in Pichia pastoris can function as a bivalent immunogen.
Bisht H, Chugh D, Raje M, Swaminathan S, Khanna N.
J Biotechnol; 2002, 99(2):97-110.
41. Vitreoscilla Hemoglobin: Intracellular Localization and Binding to Membranes.
Ramandeep, Kwang Woo Hwang, Manoj Raje, Kyung¬Jin Kim, Benjamin C. Stark, Kanak L. Dikshit and Dale A. Webster.
The Journal of Biological Chemistry; 2001, 276: 24781-24789.
42. SopE acts as a Rab5 specific nucleotide exchange factor and recruits nonprenylated Rab5 on Salmonella containing phagosomes to promote fusion with early endosome.
Konark Mukherjee, Parashuraman Seetharaman, Manoj Raje, and Amitabha Mukhopadhyay
The Journal of Biological Chemistry; 2001, 276: 23607-23615.
43. Optimization of Immunogold Labeling TEM: An ELISA based Method for Rapid and Convenient Simulation of Processing Conditions for Quantitative Detection of Antigen.
Ramandeep, Kanak L. Dikshit and Manoj Raje
The Journal of Histochemistry & Cytochemistry; 2001, 49(3): 355-367.
44. Live Salmonella Modulate Expression of Rab Proteins to persist in a Specialized Compartment and Escape Transport to Lysosomes.
Shehla Hashim, Konark Mukherjee, Manoj Raje, Sandip K. Basu and Amitabha Mukhopadhyay.
The Journal of Biological Chemistry; 2000, 275(21): 16281-8.
45. Live Salmonella Recruits N-Ethylmaleimide-sensitive Fusion Protein on Phagosomal Membrane and Promotes Fusion with Early Endosome.
Konark Mukherjee, Shadab A. Siddiqi, Shehla Hashim, Manoj Raje, Sandip K. Basu and Amitabha Mukhopadhyay.
The Journal of Cell Biology; 2000, 148(4): 741-753.
46. Hemoglobin Endocytosis in Leishmania Is Mediated through a 46-KDa protein Located in the Flagellar Pocket.
Shantanu Sengupta, Jalaj Tripathi, Ruchi Tandon, Manoj Raje, Rajendra P. Roy, Sandip K. Basu and Amitabha Mukhopadhyay.
The Journal of Biological Chemistry; 1999, 274(5): 2758-2765.
47. Localization of DNAK & GroEL in Vibro Cholerae.
Jeevan Jyot, Jitendra Kumar Gautam, Manoj Raje and Amit Ghosh.
FEMS Microbiology Lett.; 1999, 172 : 165-171.
48. Routes of Transmission in the Hepatitis E Epidemic of Saharanpur.
V. Singh, V. Singh, M. Raje, C.K. Nain, K. Singh.
Tropical Gastroenterology; 1998, 19 : 107-109.
49. The Role of N-terminal in the kinetics and assembly of a-hemolysin of Staphylococcus aureus.
Vandana S., Manoj Raje and Krishna Sastry, M.
The Journal of Biological Chemistry; 1997, 272: 24858-24863.
50. DNA Binding Protein Of Mycobacteria And Human Response.
H.K. Prasad, S. Prabhakar, P.S. Annapurna, Shamsuzzaman, Surinder Kaur, N.K. Jain, A.B. Dey, Najmul Islam and Manoj Raje.
Indian Journal of Clinical Biochemistry; 1997,12 (Suppl.): 86-88.
51. Recognition of the Parasite infected cell surface determinants by homologous antiserum raised against infected cell membranes.
Amit Choudhury, Apollina Goel, Manoj Raje, Harpreet Vohra and Girish C. Varshney.
Parasitology Research; 1997, 83:746-754.
52. Characterization of Novel Costimulatory Molecules: A protein of 38-42kD from B-cell surface is concerned with T-cell activation and differentiation.
Dass S. Vinay, Manoj Raje, Rakesh Verma, and Gyan C. Mishra.
The Journal of Biological Chemistry; 1996, 270: 1-14.
53. Characterization of a Novel Co-stimulatory molecule: a 155-160 kD B cell surface protein provides accessory help to CD4+ T cells to proliferate and differentiate.
Dass S. Vinay, Manoj Raje, and Gyan C. Mishra.
Molecular Immunology; 1996, 33: 1-14.
54. Attempts to characterize the mechanisms involved in the growth inhibition of Mycobacterium microti in interferon-g or tumor necrosis factor-a activated J774A.1 cells.
Reena Gupta, Nisha Dogra, Manoj Raje and Shekhar Majumdar.
FEMS Microbiology Letters; 1996,140: 171-178.
55. Identification of a novel 30 kDA antigen of M. Tuberculosis (MTB)
Prasad, H.K. Annapurna, P.S. Zzaman, S, Najmul, L and Manoj Raje
Journal of Cellular Biochemistry, 1995, Supplement 19B.
56. Determination of immunoglobulin M concentration by piezoelectric crystal immunobiosensor coated with protamine.
C. Raman Suri, Manoj Raje & Gyan C. Mishra.
Biosensors & Bioelectronics; 1994, 9: 535-542.
1. Boradia VM, Raje M and Raje CI. Cell Surface Mycobacterium tuberculosis GAPDH functions as a transferrin receptor. Invited book chapter in Moonlighting Proteins: Novel Virulence Factors in Bacterial Infection. Wiley Blackwell, 2017, Editor. Brian Henderson. Chapter 11, pp: 205-224.
2. E-Pathshala-Biophysics for Post Graduate students, Ministry of Human Resources Development, Govt. of India E-book initiative,2015. Module on Light Microscopy and Fluorescence Microscopy
3. DNA Binding Protein HLPMt of Mycobacterium Tuberculosis A Target of Human Immune Response.Savita P, K.Raha, P.S.Annapurna, S.Kaur, Najmul Islam, S.Zzaman, Manoj Raje, A.B.Dey, N.K.Jain, V.Kothekar, J.S.Tyagi and H.K.Prasad. Invited chapter in Immunomodulation, ed. S.N. Upadhyay, Narosa Publishing House, New Delhi, 1999.
4. Autoradiography Manoj Raje and Gyan C.Mishra. Invited chapter in Encyclopedia of Immunology, Second Edition, ed. Peter J. Delves and Ivan M. Roitt. Academic Press Ltd. pp: 296-300, 1998.
Total 10 patents (8 International + 2 Indian) Selected Patents1. Microporous filtration based dot immunoassay device for method for screening of analytes and method of use. US Patent.
2. An efficient and improved method for screening of analytes by microporous filtration based dot immunoassay kit. European Patent.
3. A dipstic based immunoassay for pesticide monitoring. Australian Patent.